Harvard neuroscientist: Meditation not only reduces stress, here’s how it changes your brain
tldr: Meditation literally changes your brain, resulting in reduced stress, anxiety, depression, mind-wandering, and increased emotional regulation, focus, compassion, and empathy.
So excited to see what the next 10 years brings in brain science and mental/emotional well-being. We're right o my the cusp of understanding so many awesome new discoveries that will lead to more wholistic treatments: gut flora and their connection to our happiness, the link between sugar/carbohydrates and mental illness, supplementation and the brain's nutritional needs. It's gonna be sweet!
1. Positive emotions make you smarter
2. Reacting to stressors with negativity invites long-term mental illness
3. Happiness leads to success, not the other way around
4. Stress and depression can shrink the brain
5. Financial stress can temporarily lower IQ
6. Your brain needs a 20 minute break every 2 hours to maintain peak performance
7. Zinc may relieve depression
8. The more you think on a problem, the more you block the creative insight that can solve it
9. Exercise may slow brain aging by 10 years for older people
10. Sitting for more than 3 hours a day can shorten your lifespan by up to 2 years
tldr: Your gut flora can affect anxiety and depression. Eating prebiotics and probiotics may help treat certain mental illnesses. Research is new. More to come.
tldr: Understanding (empathy) is the bedrock of healthy relationships. It is the glue that binds people together. Understanding > love.
1) take notes
2) make a plan
3) take action on that plan
4) hold ourself accountable
5) share your new knowledge with others